The historic area’s mansions represent a variety of architectural styles, including the longest preserved stretch of Victorian-era homes in the nation.
Here's more history and information behind the famous homes on Summit Avenue.
Edward Duffield Neill's Home: The First on Summit Avenue
The first home on Summit was owned by Macalester College founder, Reverend Edward Duffield Neill, in 1855. Neill originally came to the Minnesota Territory from Pennsylvania in 1843 to start First Presbyterian Church and House of Hope Church.
By 1859, there were six more houses on Summit—owned by William and Angelina Noble, Henry F. Masterson, Henry Mower Rice, Henry Neill Paul and David Stuart. Of the original six, the Stuart House at 312 Summit is the only one still standing today.