photo credit: @lancerhospitality
Cue the calls of “I can’t believe it’s already Labor Day weekend!?” Yes, it’s the unofficial end of summer and signals it’s officially time to go back to school. You’ve got one last long weekend of the summer - here’s how you can spend it in Saint Paul.
One last hurrah before back to school
Photo credit: Science Museum of Minnesota
If your travel party includes kids, have we got an itinerary for you! Make memories at 7 museums and 2 zoos packed with all-ages fun.
- Catch the last weekend of Dinosaurs: Land of Fire and Ice at Minnesota Children’s Museum
- Explore interactive exhibits at Science Museum of Minnesota
- Have fun learning about the past at Minnesota History Center
- Get face to face with a giant (stuffed) Wooly Mammoth at Bell Museum
- Train fanatics will be in heaven at the Minnesota Transportation Museum and Twin Cities Model Railroad Museum.
- Greet zoo animals, hop on amusement rides, mini-golf and check out the summer flower show at Como Park Zoo & Conservatory.
All are open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Como is also open on Monday.
While you're here, complete your back-to-school shopping spree with visits to Rosedale Center, Mall of America and shopping districts like Selby at Snelling and Grand Avenue.
Book a room: DoubleTree St. Paul Downtown and Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Saint Paul both put you close to downtown museums. SpringHill Suites will satisfy your swimmers with 2 indoor pools and free breakfast. Drury Plaza Hotel has a pool, free breakfast and a 5:30 kick back with free snacks and cold beverages.
Weekend at the lake (or on the river)
Photo credits: @hayley_alysia and @elizabethsoutdooradventures
If Labor Day isn’t complete without a trip to ‘the lake’, enjoy these excursions on (or near) the water.
- Rent a kayak and paddle Pickerel Lake
- Bring a picnic to Como Park followed by paddleboarding, kayaking or canoeing Como Lake.
- Enjoy a riverboat cruise along the Mississippi River. Labor Day weekend, Padelford Riverboats offers a Sightseeing Cruise, a Sunset Dinner Cruise and a Rib Dinner Cruise. With their “Monday Madness” special, you can celebrate Labor Day aboard a half-price tour.
Book a room: Request a riverfront room at InterContinental Saint Paul Riverfront hotel, unwind and relax in a modern, spacious suite (with kitchen) at Residence Inn St. Paul Downtown, or get close to the lake at Como Lake Bed & Breakfast.
Take a step back in time
Photo credits: @brother.patrick, CynCity Tours, @caitabrams
Does Labor Day weekend have you wishing you could rewind and start summer over again? We can’t help you with that, but here are some ways you can make a weekend out of traveling back in time.
- Learn about Saint Paul’s gangster past, haunted histories of Summit Avenue mansions and get the insider scoop on the city’s lore with tours from CynCity Tours and Celestial Tours.
- Take in the city’s magnificent architecture with visits to the Cathedral of Saint Paul, Landmark Center, Union Depot, James J. Hill House and the Minnesota State Capitol.
- Bring Saint Paul’s brewing history to life with visits to Waldmann (the oldest surviving saloon building in the Twin Cities), Saint Paul Brewing (on the refurbished ruins of the iconic Hamm’s Brewery), Clutch Brewing (located on the site of the historic Schmidt Brewery) and Wabasha Brewing Company (hosed in a former tin shop built in 1865).
Book a room: The Hyatt Place is in a renovated 1933 art deco former post office. Celeste St. Paul is set in a 1909 former convent (one suite used to be the chapel). Both options include complimentary breakfast.
Do the Fair
Photo credits: Minnesota State Fair
The Minnesota State Fair’s 12-day run concludes on Labor Day. That means Monday, September 6 is your last chance to take in the sights, smells and taste of the Great Minnesota Get Together - and it’s Kids Day, which means reduced admission price for kids at the entrance gates along with deals on merchandise and food and specials on Mighty Midway and Kidway rides & games. We've got your Guide to Minnesota State Fair fun.
Book a room: The Holiday Inn Downtown St. Paul offers a daily complimentary shuttle to and from the Fairgrounds, plus kids ages 18 and under stay for free when sharing their parents’ room.
Check out a New Event
Held on the grounds of the Minnesota State Capitol, MERGE Twin Cities is a new event to celebrate and honor the 100+ nations represented in the Twin Cities. Free to attend and family-friendly, spend Saturday, September 4 enjoying local food trucks, vendors, performances, activities, and games for the whole family.
Book a room: Stay just blocks away at the Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge and enjoy free breakfast before walking to the event.
Show us how you're spending the long weekend on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with the hashtag #MYSAINTPAUL!