Newell Park is one of the oldest neighborhood parks in St. Paul. Dedicated in 1908, this park was named after attorney and member of the Saint Paul Park board, Stanford Newell who also served as U.S. Minister to the Netherlands from 1897-1906. The beautiful pavilion space was built in 1929 and was the hub of community activity for many years. Newell Park's pavilion played host to a variety of large celebrations throughout the 1930's and would later become a part-time recreation center in the '70's and '80's. Nowadays, it is primarily used as a picnic pavilion space.