Como Park has for over one hundred years provided an outdoor haven offering a variety of free or reasonably priced recreational activities for its visitors. Landscape designs of H.W.S. Cleveland and Frederick Nussbaumer (who was Superintendent of Parks from 1891 to 1922) provided the original framework for a space that would offer many affordable recreational activities, services, and educational opportunities for the surrounding community and visitors alike.
Today, the park has managed to fulfill this mission. The space continues to offer free admission to the zoo and the conservatory, a park shelter for rent equipped with electricity and a double grill, a historic streetcar station with an interpretative exhibit area, and a large pavilion equipped with electricity and barbecue grills.