Behind the Scenes at Como Zoo
Top 10 Things to Do
Need we say more? 10 things you have to do in Saint Paul this summer.
1. Como Zoo: Lions and tigers and polar bears...oh, my! Looking for something fun and free to do this summer? The Como Zoo and Conservatory offers free admission to the public. Enjoy your day with family and friends, walk around the grounds and observe the animals at play. Later, stroll over to Como Town amusement park and be entertained with rides, games and food.
2. Dine outside: When the Minnesota weather starts to warm, all of the locals head to patios! Outdoor dining is a must during Minnesota summers. Savor delicious menu options from countless locations. Have a cocktail during happy hour on W.A. Frost's European-style garden patio and bar, or catch some live music while having a burger and fries at Burger Moe's. (Here's a blog to get you started.)
3. Padelford Riverboats Cruise: All aboard! Operating from Harriet Island Regional Park in downtown Saint Paul, Padelford Riverboats have entertained more than four million passengers. Take the 1.5-hour sightseeing cruise or the 4-hour Lock and Lunch Cruise. The cruises all provide the best viewing possible of the Mississippi National River and Recreation Area (MNRRA), a national park that runs through the city.
4. Stay at the Covington Inn B&B: One of America's few floating bed and breakfasts, the Covington Inn is nestled under the downtown Saint Paul city skyline on the Mississippi River. The inn boasts both a common gathering place and individual rooms, allowing you to make your stay as private or social as you prefer.
5. Enjoy music outside: Every summer there are dozens of live music performances to enjoy every night of the week. Revel in music from all genres over cocktails on the patios of your favorite local restaurants; or, gather your family and friends to free concerts at Como Park, Rice Park or Mears Park, which hosts its Music in Mears concert series that runs every Thursday night, June 6 through August 29 6 to 9p.m.
6. Find a festival: Want to spend the day having fun in the sun? Saint Paul is host to many diverse festivals all season long. Whether you favor art, music, or beer or you prefer to explore a specific cultural community, there is a festival for you!
7. St. Paul Saints game: Everyone wins at a St. Paul Saints baseball game, now playing at CHS Field in Lowertown! The quirky themed nights, tasty ballpark concessions, fireworks, giveaways and inexpensive cost make game-day one of the favorite activities in the area.
8. Science Museum of Minnesota: This jewel of a museum on the Mississippi River is a wonderland for kids and adults alike. Check out the Mummies: Secrets of the Tomb or the National Parks Adventure film.
9. Drink Up: Enjoy a craft beer at numerous breweries around Saint Paul, including the grandfather of them all, Summit Brewing, which celebrates its 30th anniversary this year.
10. Take the streets: We have plenty of neighborhoods to explore, and each has its own flavor. Explore each one on a Nice Ride bicycle, stationed throughout the city. Want to bring a group along? Look into the Traveling Tap and make it a party.